Ok, I must confess that for two rather long flights, mom and I did quite well. No major hiccups, we made it to South Africa in one piece, and the food just seemed to keep coming! It has been awhile since I've been on an airplane and longer-oh say 2008 with a visit to China-that I have flown internationally. A few things really stood out to me during these flights: first and foremost, if you get the chance to fly KLM, do it. Great airport staff, great flight attendants, and the keep bringing you things! Food, drinks, warm nicely scented towelettes, they don't charge for alcohol and provide specialized meals. Now I know it has been a few years since I've travelled abroad, and that other airlines provide similar services, but it was absolutely incredible to me how many times they came through the cabin with this that or the other thing! Good job KLM! If you are going to be taking an international flight in the near future and don't want to wait for your meal... get a specialized meal: vegan, vegetarian, something along those lines cause they will bring it out first! lol Because I am gluten and egg free, we tried special ordering for me, but it is somewhat difficult to eat premade food with that combination of allergies. So, I got my meal first and when mom got her meal, we'd switch items around a bit so we both had food. Made a little game out of it! Thanks Mom!
The other thing I vividly remember is looking out the window over the Atlantic as we made our way to Amsterdam. For whatever reason, the scene was absolutely surreal. I will attempt to describe the view, but I feel I cannot do it justice: We sat a little behind the wing which glowed a soft silver, gray hue, reflecting the clear light of an almost full moon. Now the moon was barely visible over my shoulder from where I was sitting, so the effect was not too bright or overwhelming. What was particularly stunning happened to be the arrangement of clouds and stars. Looking down, you stare into the dark navy abyss of what you know to be the Atlantic-some 35,000' below. You are not afraid. Something about this blue, the dollops of cotton ball clouds scattered gently below, seem to be different than just sky and water. The clear delineation of soft silver and gray clouds create something more firm and resolute than their gaps give them credit for. Here lie the stepping stones to eternity. Hanging delicately above the stepping stones are stars more abundant and more tangible than staring up with your feet firmly on the ground. You feel like you can do anything! A perfect and breath-taking moment caught somewhere between the heavens and earth.
I have never seen anything like it. Perhaps I was exhausted. Perhaps this was a scene that would and could only resonate with me. Whatever the case may be, I appreciate I was able to bare witness to it.
love the description; some of the best moments in life can come when we least expect them.
ReplyDelete